The Iron & Bolt foundry and other local industries attracted German immigrants tradesmen to settle in the Fox Valley. In 1886, some of those families founded and built German Evangelical Zion Congregational Church. That first building has been refurnished and is currently a parish hall. In 1892, the present church was built. German language services continued until 1948. The pastor also served as schoolmaster until 1915. Our Hinners Pipe Organ was installed in 1911 and is one of only a few in existence today. Even though it has been refurbished over the years it still has a beautiful sound and adds musical inspiration to our services.
In June of 1892, the cornerstone of the present church on the corner was laid, and the building was completed by October of that same year. A bell tower, with 1300 lb. bell can still be heard every Sunday morning. Our church rings the bell three times during the Lord’s Prayer which dates back to an old custom in Europe when the people in their homes or fields could hear the bell join in the prayer.
Zion continued to grow and in 1961 our church built a two-story brick addition, which connected our current sanctuary with the old Parish Hall. This addition allowed for Zion to add classrooms, a study, and a kitchen with a large fellowship hall.
Our church today is excited to see how the Lord will use Zion Christian Church throughout Carpentersville and the surrounding areas. Though, we have seen a great deal of change over the years Zion Christian church will always be a friendly church family that enjoys working and serving together. Our love for the Lord will never cease and we will always hold to the truths found in the inspired Word of God.